AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeder wagon
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 9/30/2011 09:05 (#1985006 - in reply to #1984451)
Subject: Re: feeder wagon

Manitoba
If you are grinding everything already you can use just about any mixer out there. Older horizontal auger mixers will be cheapest but you will probably have to be patient and keep your eyes open at auctions to get something low cost. I would think you should be able to find something between 5000 - 10 000 $ but again you will have to be patient and wait to find one that comes along that not a lot of people want. Size wise I would probably suggest something around 300 cu ft. Not sure on ground corn stalks, sure those are bulky but I would think you would be fine with that size for 60 dry cows. On our dairy (denser rations but higher intake) about 300 cu ft will feed a 60 cow pen, one load for one day. 3 or 4 auger are both fine but look at the augers and flighting to see how worn. (just replaced an auger on one of ours, it was about 3000 + freight). Also check to see how worn the liners are as often in the old ones they ma;y be worn through on the bottom. But given the number of head you are feeding you can stretch a tired one out for a long time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)