AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picking an old Swather
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

EMTfarmer
Posted 9/10/2011 10:32 (#1955612 - in reply to #1955506)
Subject: RE: Picking an old Swather

Turner County, SD
I personally would not choose a swather to cut ditches. But, if you are dead set to do that, I certainly would not choose the JD800. This swather worked fine in small grain but was not built to take the beating of cutting hay, especially grass hay. I don't have any experience on the rest of the brands listed. There are used three point disc mowers out there that will do the job. That would also save on the need to maintain and service another power unit. I have never wrecked a pod on my disc mower. Keeping the gear boxes full of oil and changing that oil at regular service intervals will usually keep them running a long time. I will say that disc mowers don't like rocks or other hard objects. Even then, the relatively low cost of knives and the ease of changing them would preclude me from ever returning to a sickle system to cut grass. If you consider a disc mower for ditches, only get the kind with individual oil reservoirs for each pod. BTW, I just got done cutting 13 miles of ditches with my disc mower.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)