AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picking an old Swather
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 9/10/2011 09:54 (#1955561 - in reply to #1955506)
Subject: RE: Picking an old Swather

central - east central Minnesota -

Noland - 9/10/2011 08:14

This is probably a question for the machinery talk, but it revolves around making hay for my cattle. I am looking at several different old swathers right now. I am looking at a JD800, Versitile, IH 400, and an Owatonna. I will only be cutting road ditches for the most part. I have seen 12' and 15' and I am leaning towards the 12' one just to make sure I can get in some ditches better. We used to have an Owatonna growing up and I thought it was a piece of junk, we got rid of it 20 years ago and never used one again. However, it has been recommended to me to buy a swather and cut the road ditches with that because you just never know what is in them and it is easier and cheaper to replace a couple sickle sections vs. replacing a turtle on the new mowers. I have pretty much made up my mind that I am buying one, I just wanted to get some opinions from people who probably grew up on one or still continue to cut on them.

Thanks,

Matt

I guess I can really answer your question - but, check out craigslist - there have been some pretty good deals on older swathers you are looking at - example: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/2581355104.html

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)