AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cull heavy in fall and buy back in spring, would this work?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 9/8/2011 09:57 (#1952302)
Subject: Cull heavy in fall and buy back in spring, would this work?

Baldwin City, KS
I know the first person I need to talk to is my tax lady, but I also highly value some of the advice that I get on this site as well. Some of you guys seem to have a real good feel for cattle cycles even with high volatility.
My situation, my cattle herd has easily outgrown my facilities, which were junk, or non existent to start with. I have both a fall and spring herd. I feel like my fall cows are too strung out for calving and we are row crop farmers, so it can be a problem checking cows on pasture in the fall. I lost a couple of bulls to heat and lightening, so if I keep as many fall cows, they will need to be replaced shortly, which is more cash flowing the wrong direction in this drought year.
What about selling my fall cows before winter, selling my hay while it is worth a good amount of money, and buying young pairs or open fall cows come spring that are grouped up a little better? Do you guys see cows getting alot higher to buy back by spring? Is the cow market high enough right now to sell the cows that I would like to get rid of? I'm just thinking I could make some money on my hay, take the winter to get facilities in better shape, and start back with some younger cows that I am a little happier with. No doubt there is a downside to this plan that is not immediately obvious, so all advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)