AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kookier
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/14/2011 02:01 (#1773655 - in reply to #1773371)
Subject: shared fence

Driftless SW Wisconsin

TC, I understand the logic of putting a fence 5 ft inside the property line on your side but it seems the space between them could be a weedy nightmare no mans land. I have a short stretch like that just because the other fellows fence is not straight nor on a property line. The space between the two fences is like a weed seed farm.

And doesn't a fence become the legal property line after it is in place for some number of years? I would not be willing to lose that 5 ft. I had a surveyor mark for a new fence that went though the woods where there was a different owner on the other side. Not very expensive and cheaper than a lawyer or moving a fence in the future.

With another neighbor years ago who was building a new fence along our property line, at his request I bought the materials for my (RH) half even though I did not have any livestock at the time. He put the whole thing up. The RH half is now mine to maintain. With his permission, I recently put electric on standoffs on both sides full length to keep his Jersey bull away from my heifers and my bull from his.

Seems like fences should be something you can work out with a neighbor in various ways without requiring a lawyer. I guess with some neighbors that may not be possible but would hope that is a rare situation.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/14/2011 02:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)