AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Today was Harvest Day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/28/2011 13:38 (#1750506 - in reply to #1749613)
Subject: Re: Today was Harvest Day - Aerway

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Bryce, I have not personally used an Aerway before however a very good long time corn on corn C IL Pluribus customer uses one every fall. As I understand it he spreads dry fertilizer behind the combine and then runs a 30 ft Aerway 8" deep at an angle to the rows.

This customer claims the Aerway used in the fall breaks up some of the harvest tire compaction kinks over the stalks (harvested with a knife roll corn head) and stirs enough soil to partially incorporate the fertilizer and help break down the corn residue over the winter. It does this in a way that does not let much residue blow to the fenceline nor create a smeared layer as discs tend to do.

I bought a small Aerway to test the various ways of using it in a corn on corn strip till system.  As far as spring use, I do not want a lot of loose rootballs on the surface when strip tilling so I need to run with the rows and not set very aggressive. 

Looking forward to the soil drying enough to give it a try this spring, if possible. It does look like just the thing for the grazed corn. I will post some pictures for those interested if and when it stops raining enough to use it.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 4/28/2011 13:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)