AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Today was Harvest Day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/27/2011 10:31 (#1747935 - in reply to #1747740)
Subject: RE: Today was Harvest Day

Driftless SW Wisconsin

John, the reason I originally staarted using different processors is that some were Wisconsin state inspected (beef sold in WI) and some were USDA (can be sold anywhere). I also find it is easier to negotiate a longer hanging period with fewer carcasses taking up their limited cooler space. 

Wisconsin has a lot of processors. There are probably 6 or 8 within an hours drive but they are  probably smaller on average than in SD. They are also good at different things. I tend to use the same ones each year but am always looking for the one that does a better job than the others.

I saved my last born steer from spring 2010 who has been wintering with my 2 bulls and will harvest him off of peak grass this summer and will try a different new processor.

It was a good feeling to get them shipped out - feels sort of like running a combine through a good corn field. I do feel a could have done a bit better, sort of like harvesting 180 bu corn in a 200 bu area and year.

This year with a couple weeks older calves I am going to wean a bit earlier and get them on corn in the beginning of December rather than the end. I also need to calculate the corn area required a bit better. A nice thing about farming and cattle is that every year you have more knowledge (if you are open to new knowledge!) and can look forward to doing a bit better job next year, if mother nature goes along with the plan.

Thanks for the reminder on the grass tetany. So far have not had enough grass to worry about it though. I did see several trailers on the road hauling hay yesterday - this winter has required a lot of hay and feed here also. My wrapped hay reserve I was going to keep into summer for emergencies may be one bale the way its going. A bit too close for comfort.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/27/2011 23:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)