AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Today was Harvest Day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 4/27/2011 08:56 (#1747740 - in reply to #1747403)
Subject: RE: Today was Harvest Day

Jim, I'm sure that is a feeling of satisfaction to get those steers down the road to the processor. Just curious why you take them to different processors instead of just one? One can't handle too many at once? There are several good processors in this part of the state but it would make for a lot of running around delivering to different ones as they are all at least 70 miles away, mostly in different directions with different butcher days.

I'd say it's better to run a little short of corn than to have much left over. Corn is just too valuable to waste. So all things considered I'd say you met your goals as close as anyone could. The winter here has taken a tremendous amount of feed. Much more than I expected.

As we all know, the first green grass of spring is just like candy to cattle. Cattle are unrelenting in chasing it. Might be good protein, but it has a lot of water and doesn't have much fiber in it. University guy is right, cattle need the "scratch" of corn stalks, hay, or dormant hard grass for proper rumen function and digestion.

Cattle are just nuts over the green grass so getting them to consume anything else might be a challenge. Like they say, don't stand too close to the rear of a cow on green grass in case she coughs! Grass tetany is not a problem for non-lactating cattle, but something to consider for cows nursing calves.

Edited by John SD 4/27/2011 09:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)