AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Concrete pit ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Poo Solutions
Posted 4/13/2011 23:37 (#1723414 - in reply to #1708846)
Subject: RE: Concrete pit ???

With sand systems, simplier is always better. The more you handle it, the more in settles out where you don't want it to (like in your tansfer lines).

In your case a 2-stage lagoon would be the most cost effective. When I design a small dairy, it's best to scrape manure into a small reception pit. Keep the milk house liquid out (except in winter, we may need to add some depending on material thickness) and then use a slow piston pump (i.e. a Futuro pump from GEA Houle) with a 12" line. We always install an air riser and use a large air tank to "flush" the line. Flushing everyday will usually prevent ant plugged lines.

Sand lanes and mechanical sand systems can work well if you have the right type of sand, quality flush liquid and plenty of it. I have seen both types of systems work extremenly well with management. With your size of dairy-I don't see it would be worth it.

With any sand system, you have to do something with it everyday. Keeping the manure thick and pumping it slow is pretty fool proof. Air flushing is as simple as opening a valve for 15 seconds.

I have also worked with sand traps on small farms. Basically it is a small sedimentation pit, that gets cleaned out once per week or so.

Any questions (pit sizing, layouts, etc..)-send me an e-mail.

Andy
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)