AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I keep this ewe or cull her??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IA Jackrabbit
Posted 3/22/2011 10:09 (#1683267)
Subject: Should I keep this ewe or cull her??

NW Iowa-Lyon
I have an ewe that went down on Friday morning sometime between 2 and 6 o'clock. Pulled her out of the pen and had the vet come out at about 11 or 12. Vet said it was Pregnancy Toxemia. Vet treated her and gave her a 50/50 chance of surviving. Me personally I only gave her about a 5% chance. Would have done a C-section but she was about 2-3 weeks out from lambing. Well continued to treat her with propylene glycol ever 5 hrs. I had a bottle lamb to feed also so that was not a big deal. Well she survived and is walking and running again. Problem not is that she adorted her 2 really big twins last night. They were both dead. She had milk so I took my bottle lamb and gave that lamb a mother and the ewe has a baby now. She is a 3-4 year old polypay ewe. Will she get Pregnancy Toxemia again if I keep her or should I just cull her out and not take the risk?

Also I had a post on here about 3-4 weeks ago and my luck has turn around. I have had 10 ewes lambs since then and my birth rate/live rate 190%. Have not lost one since my last post. I am not counting this last ewe due to the fact she got sick and I guess I kind of figured on her losing her lambs. Thanks to the guys that posted to keep with them. Also I need to get some pics on here to show my set up. Sorry this post got so long.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)