AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Renting out pature land - best opportunity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 3/8/2011 14:37 (#1658077 - in reply to #1656275)
Subject: RE: Retain the hunting if you do

I go through this every dang spring! I am competing for grazing land against a lot of +1400# cows, going to grass with mid Feb born calves. I am more of the 1100# cow and their mid march calves eat a way lot LESS! Still, I have to pay the 'going rate'. THEN, at the end of the season, and there is a huge surplus of grass (because my 'little' cows didn't devour every last leaf)..... the land lord sends in the hay crew to clean it off...

All they hear is, is the 'coffee shop' gossip of someone getting 225-250 per PAIR for a 5 month graze. And by-golly, that's what they gonna get!! dang the size of the cow, a pair is a pair, right?? sigh.

I think some grassland should be rated as 'total pounds of animal' rated. If they rate it for 100,000# for example, and I show up with 75 1100# cow, 150# calf pairs, and 3 bulls..... This should be the same as 59 1400# cows, their 225# calves, and 2 bulls. It will be the same amount of grass removed.
dang it, their income off that land would be identical, regardless of what size of cow is out there!!! and the amount of 'after grass' would be the same.
I try to 'take some, leave some' on managing grass. All they would see is the extra 16 pairs out there, and think I am 'stealing' their grass! Phooey.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)