AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need help making biscuits
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

seabee
Posted 3/5/2011 16:38 (#1652226 - in reply to #1651261)
Subject: Re: need help making biscuits

Truth is that you can't replace the love that went into anything that anyone you loved made. You have to invent your own. My biscuits are on the order of my Grandad's, cause he made the breads in the house after he retired. He used lard or Crisco for fat. I've tried butter to cut in with the dry ingredients and you would slap anyone who tried to get yours after it comes out of the oven. He always told me that there are so many recipes and versions, but the best are the ones that don't have over-the top ingredients - like cream cheese, cream, etc. Use the best ingredients (Lard, Crisco, good pre-sifted flour, buttermilk, and fresh baking powder) and don't over-handle the dough.

I've learned that for flaky layers you need to lightly knead the dough and fold it over on itself. If you want them to rise higher pat the dough out to about 1 inch think, and less if you prefer them shorter. Then cut them with a cutter (or the bottom of a jelly glass). Place them in a pan with melted butter (2 tblsp is good). Lay them down in the butter to get them coated and then turn them over. Bake them hot (400 degreesF) until they're golden brown (15 - 20 minutes). You'll get a crisp bottom, firm tops, and soft and flaky centers. It's not Granddady's because he can't be replaced, but I think he'd be proud.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)