AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Car seat / stroller suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ILOVECH
Posted 1/31/2011 08:00 (#1582880 - in reply to #1582535)
Subject: RE: Car seat / stroller suggestions

Ontario, Canada

When looking for a carseat/stroller you first have to ask yourself how much driving you do and what type of ground condition will you be using a stroller on?  If you hardly go anywhere (especially major freeways) definately go with a less expensive Graco carseat.  If you want the convenience of a snap and go, get the carseat/stroller combos so that you can just snap the carseat into the stroller. Usually when you are in the car a baby will fall asleep and it's much easier to just transfer the carseat to the stroller without waking baby everytime by having to take them out.

The more money you spend the more safer (and more comfortable for your child) the carseat is... you do actually get what you pay for when it comes to carseats.  Carseats are pretty much the same when it comes to "restraint" but when it comes to "side impact protection" and "multiple rollovers", etc... many will get a failing grade.  It's a personal decision what type you pick and I think it should really depend on your lifestyle and how much driving you do (especially if you are on busy highways often).  Also, the more money you spend on a carseat the longer the expiry lasts (most have a 4 year expiry... expensive carseats will have a 6 year expiry).  Longer expiry gives you more life in the seat and also makes it better for reselling if you decide to not have anymore children.  We ended up getting a Peg Perego carseat and an Uppababy stroller.  I ended up with this combo mainly for the safey for the carseat as I drive A LOT on busy highways.  The stroller is very small and lightweight and if you have a small trunk it's ideal.  The regular combo strollers will take up your entire trunk and leave no room for groceries.  We found it's also tough enough to handle our dirt roads as there's no way I could push a Graco stroller around here.

Clara in her carseat at 1 day old.

Snapped into the base in the car at about 3 months old.

Clara in her carseat at 6 months old

Carseat snapped on the stroller.

In the stroller with the seat facing mom (a feature I Iike so you can see your baby and they aren't getting blasted by the wind).  You have to pay a little more to have this feature where you can switch which way your baby faces.  With the stroller we bought it come with the interchangable carseat/seat, a bassinet and bug/rain guard.  It also let's you lock the front wheels so they don't swivel.

Clara is her stroller facing forward (without carseat and just stroller seat).

If you plan on strolling on dirt roads, swivel wheel/combo strollers usually won't last long and are difficult to push (and rocky for baby).  You'll need to get an "all terrain" or "jogging" (rubber wheeled) stroller.  Carseats won't always snap on these though.

You can actually completely bypass an infant carseat and just get a convertible carseat (which is a carseat that faces backwards from 5-20lbs and turns arounds and faces forward from 20-70lbs).  This carseat is permanent in the car though and you can't take it out and snap it in a stroller or carry it with your baby.  It's excellent for those who don't travel much or prefer to carry their own child.  You will have to end up buying another carseat when your child hits 20lbs anyways so some people prefer this option (they usually hit 20lbs by at least 9 months). 

Here is a picture of our daughter in a convertible carseat that we bought (she's 22lbs and forward facing now)...
Clara in her carseat at 10 months old
There are all different types of convertilbe carseats, this one is a Britax.  It extends so it will be the last carseat she'll be in until she's at least 5 years old. You have to be careful not to pick up up a convertible that's 20-40/50lbs as you'll still need to upgrade again with one of those.  Children need to be in carseats until 75lbs usually because seatbelts won't properly restrain them as the shoulder belt doesn't fit properly with their height.

I probably overwhelmed you now with info, goodluck to you both!

Edited by ILOVECH 1/31/2011 08:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)