AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeding MGA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/9/2011 19:18 (#1537639 - in reply to #1536948)
Subject: RE: feeding MGA

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I've fed MGA in the feedlot to my beef heifers, then put the bulls in. And have also not done anything but feed them good, keep mineral levels up, and dump bulls in. I constantly get 85% of calves on the first cylce, 100% by second cylce. Why do I want to mess with mother nature? I run 1 bull to 25 heifers. The biggest down fall to having them all calve at once is risk management. I don't want all them coming at once, if you have a 24 hr. killer storm come thru, it can wipe you out upwards to 30 or more %. We can't shed calve them, too many cattle to shed calve, and too spread out ( over 20 mile radius ).

The biggest problem I see with A.I. is you have to start one month before cut off date to get them bulled up if A.I. didn't work. I don't want to extend my calving season, I want to shorten it. Unless you keep all your heifers, A.I. them, then only keep what you need. Also I see guys A.I., then put a crappy clean up bull in, what's up with that? You need to put just as good clean up bull as you A.I. to.

My results are not to feed MGA nor to use PG's to speed things up, I really don't think they are needed. At least for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)