AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Line breeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

The_Owl
Posted 1/4/2011 02:29 (#1525463 - in reply to #1525368)
Subject: Certainly fodder for thought -

Watford City, ND

I had to reread the link you provided a couple of times before I realized that I agree...

I'm assuming you not talking about full-blown crossing of a bull on daughters, but instead having a slew of cattle that is 'closed-line' or namely, using bulls that are 'closed-lined' because they are proven...correct me if I'm misinterrpetting this???

In western ND, often we'll got out and look for a "Highliner Bull" for crossing black baldies.  Namely we're looking for bulls that had decended from the Montana State herd referenced in the article.

The best looking calves IMO are the char - crossed calves off a black or red-faced baldy.  Great vigor, size, shape, and they flesh well.  Although the whole 'black vs white' in the sale barn has turned some away from charlois, most cattle buyers will seek them out when marketed elsewhere than the barn.

You going to be in Minot this year for the ag show?  I've got a friend looking at a Deere 1890 but we need to address the closing wheels - hope you catch ya there.

Later,

Marco

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)