AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ever use your farm to help people who are in a really rough spot?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

beh
Posted 12/21/2010 23:24 (#1500002 - in reply to #1499921)
Subject: Re: Ever use your farm to help people who are in a really rough spot?

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
I understand our business is different than a farmer. I understand that. But we have done that for several young men.

Sometimes it is very rewarding, in fact we will have a kid here for Christmas this year that we have worked with a bunch. Good kid in a bad spot. Dropped out of school when he was 13 to put food on the table in a split home where Mom turned into an alcoholic. He has been through it all, drugs, repos, alcohol, homeless, you name it. Helped him get on his feet and find steady employment after our season was over. Love that young man like a Brother. We had our rough spots, nothing serious with us but off work issues. Did bail him out ONCE. Great guy. I am proud to say we had a major impact in his life. Second chances can work.

On the flip side, it can be really difficult. Some are all talk. You sniff that out quick. Some will work you. Those hurt the worst and cause the most damage. They use the same 'con-artist' techniques they always have.

It takes more maintenance, but can be very rewarding!

EDIT: The example I used was our most successful and by far the closest to me. We have had guys who worked great, but reverted quickly after employment. The reversion is more the norm than the rule. Sorry to say, truth hurts.

Edited by beh 12/21/2010 23:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)