AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drop/bottle calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 12/15/2010 14:10 (#1487454 - in reply to #1487188)
Subject: Re: drop/bottle calves

Manitoba
I would think you would be best off considering them ill and have never been fed colostrum. Hitting them hard right off the bat would turn any that were on the fence in the right direction and would not hurt any that were ok.

My choice would be Electrolytes / lots of water as a start (maybe an electrolyte with an energy source, we use calf lyte II I think is the name)for probably the first couple feedings. I would go with a long acting antibiotic immediately as well (draxxin although pricey lasts 10 days and the dose is so small you cost per animal is not bad) Go with your A, D, E but if I remember correctly there is not a lot of E in that so I would include a selenium + E shot as well. After you have them on milk or replacer anything that is not doing great I would continue with an electrolyte and water at mid day between feedings to be sure they are hydrated adequately.

Only thing I would not do is the colostrum replacement. After 12 hours of birth the effect of this is dropping fast and after 24 hours you are probably getting no immunity out of including it. Again it won't hurt anything to include it but probably it will be adding a lot of cost with little impact.

That's how we handle such things here anyway.

Martin

Edited by Oakwood 12/15/2010 14:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)