AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drop/bottle calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JimS
Posted 12/15/2010 10:57 (#1487188)
Subject: drop/bottle calves

I have been raising a few dropp calves. In the past, I usually get them direct from the dairy. This year I got a few from the yard and have had bad luck. They usually last about 7-10 days. I think they have a combination of things, but likely e. coli and some form of pneumonia (no temperature).

What I would liike to know, given my recent experience, should I assume that everything from the yard has not had colosterum and is ill? Normally, we are conservative with the antibiotics and initial bottle feedings (the vigorous ones need to be limited in feeding to avoid bloat, in my opinion. I like them to be a little hungry, that is wanting to eat when I feed), but I am now considering giving them an immediate feeding or two of colosterum replacement when they get home, lots of electrolites in follow up feedings, probably Kick Start on the second or third feeding after colosterum replacement, immediately vaccinating with Bo Bac, giving A, D, E vitamins, and B complex, and maybe a shot of LA 200.

Any and all constructive advice is appreciated.

JimS
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)