AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bedding question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 12/15/2010 02:56 (#1486770 - in reply to #1483582)
Subject: RE: Keep them clean and dry

Iowa
Good husbandry always pays, and is the right thing to do regardless.

Keep the cattle clean and dry. I used to finish cattle in dirt-floored sheds. Bedding always got mixed with mud unless I used an awful lot of bedding, which I did as cold, damp, muddy animals are not allowed here. Poured concrete floors in the sheds-open fronts to the south like yours- and now find it easier to keep the cattle warm, clean and dry, mainly because we can clean the sheds out every few weeks all winter long, which is really hard to do with dirt floors.

I don't buy into the bedding/lice connection. Pour the calves in the fall. bed them adequately. I don't think it matter with what---straw or cornstalks--- a small amount nearly daily is better than over bedding and then letting them get muddy before you bed again. A small near-daily amount will lessen the depth of the manure pack and reduce bedding waste when compared to just throwing in a big bale once in a while.

Do whatever necessary to keep the cattle clean, warm and dry. Like my grandpa always said, "sell them if you aren't going to take care of them", and, " take good care of them and they will take good care of you"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)