AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for ag related college scholarships
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Suey
Posted 12/6/2010 19:36 (#1471555 - in reply to #1467564)
Subject: RE: Looking for ag related college scholarships

WCIL
You are right to tell him to get his rear in gear. Most applications require an essay. Have him write one. Then take that essay to the English teacher to help him with it. Then tweak it for each application. Since he is not your first you know that deadlines are very important. Deadlines and applications should take preference over working on the farm. Our daughter made lots of money filling out scholarship applications. Son didn't care. She graduated college with money in the bank. He made it without loans but had to work more during the summers and during school year.

Sorry, I didn't think much of the Pepsi or Coke scholarships. Seemed like you needed to be a genius and doing volunteer brain surgery to qualify. So she did not bother. Looked like it would require a perfect ACT or SAT to stand out.

Some applications require the FASA be filled, even if they are not need based. So, do your part as soon as taxes are ready.

Tell him to read the bulletin board at the counselor's office DAILY. I do not think it is the counselor's job to hunt down your kid and hand them the scholarship application like some people think, If you are smart enough to go to college you are smart enough to look some on your own. I know that our counselor handed out sheets with with websites to check for scholarships. I think the ones not going to college and dealing with "home problems" are more important to try and help.

Corn Growers, Soybean Association, Pork Producers, Beef Association, Farm Bureau, Farmland, Farm Credit, Local School District Education Foundation, CC education Foundations, Talk to other kids from your school district that have gone to college and majored in Agriculture they can help alot. Can he judge livestock?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)