AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog equipment and one-way gates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 11/25/2010 20:25 (#1454147 - in reply to #1453602)
Subject: Re: Hog equipment and one-way gates

If I use a 1/4 of both food courts (there are gates between the feeders to allow the sorted pigs access to feed) and the entire sort pen which is 12' wide and ~ 150' long I could get pretty dang close to 2 loads worth (380 hd) sorted.

The Schick scale is different from all of the rest that I looked at in that the hogs only "have" to go through the scale 1 day a week to get into the food court. There is a gate beside the scale that is open 6 days/week that allow free access to the food court. On day 7 the gate shuts and they have to go through the scale to get into the feed court.

There are pigs that either will either never leave the food court so they don't have to go through the scale on day 7 or they just won't eat during that 24 hrs that the gate is closed. These are the pigs that have to be sorted the old fashioned way or they will get big, short of using a sorting panel and a prod they will not go through the scale.

I haven't really noticed any pigs that haven't found the feeders.

http://www.schickenterprises.com/

The main reason I went with auto sort is that we're all getting older, good help is getting harder and harder to find (for sure someone I want to sort hogs with) and during spring and fall it really is a nuisance to shut the planter or combine down to go sort hogs. In the new barn all I gotta do is set up the sort pen and set the scale to do the work, come back the next morning and there are 190 hogs waiting to be loaded.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)