AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog equipment and one-way gates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 11/24/2010 23:34 (#1452771 - in reply to #1452278)
Subject: Re: Hog equipment and one-way gates

For the most part I like it, however I haven't been using it very long yet.  I'm still learning.

Sorting is great except for the 1 or 2% of the hogs that figure out how to "beat the system" and won't go through the scale.  You still have to look for big hogs out in the population or there will be some that get away from you.  I had one in the last group that got REALLY BIG HUGE, ended up taking that one to the locker instead of giving it to Farmland.

Giving shots can be a lot of fun. You'd be surprised how long and far a sick pig can run in a 5400 sq ft pen. While the sick one is running from you the other 699 hd are following you trying to bite your legYell

Power washing is nice until you get to the food court, then you spend 3 hrs washing feeders in each pen. Because it takes so dang long to wash the scale and all of the automatic gates it ends up taking about the same time/hd space as my other building which has 100 hd and 75 hd pens. The Schick scale is well built but whoever designed it obviously hasn't spent much time power washing. That thing has so dang many places for crap to get packed into, dang near impossible to get it 100% clean.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)