AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

water cost?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/20/2010 23:23 (#1445683 - in reply to #1443504)
Subject: RE: water cost?

This guy's sure has his head in the clouds! That water cost is next to nothing for the month. 15 head of calves at say 20 gallons a head a day.

15 calves x 20 gallons= 300 gallons a day

20 gallon a minute pump = 300 gal./20 = 15 minutes run time on pump

cost per unit of power per hour / 4 (15 minutes) = cost of power per day

Here my cost for power is 14 cents per KWH. So with my figures that would cost him 3.5 cents for pumping the 15 minutes. Also you have your meter charge for the month here that is $11.14 just to have a meter with no power going through it. So that would be less than a cent for the time you are pumping. So if you just figure 5 cents a day for power. You are only costing him $1.50 a month for power to pump for 15 head a month.

If he is filling the trough for you, pay him $10 a hour. That is $2.50 a day for 30 days = $75 dollars for labor and $1.50 for power for the month.

It cost more for labor than power when having somebody pump water. If you are doing all the labor, I would just credit him $5 for the month. If he squeals, just show him the figures for cost of power. Next time just write into your lease you will have access to water for stock.

I've got wells(2-3 hp. pumps) that we pump 24 hrs a day for 3-4 months at a time. They only cost us around $120 a month, give or take a little.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)