AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding out cull cows, economical ration questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 11/19/2010 09:05 (#1443447)
Subject: Feeding out cull cows, economical ration questions.

Baldwin City, KS
I bought a pot load of fall calving 8-10 year old cows in August and stuck them on some grass. My intentions are to get them all calved out ( 9 still haven't calved), let them raise the calves and try to get some gain on the cows so I can sell them to a killer. I am trying to make use of alot of extra brome/fescue hay that I have on hand, as well as about 110 ton of 50bu/acre corn that I chopped.
I have never tried this before, so I am double checking my plan. I would like to feed around 40 # of the ensilage in my concrete bunks, along with free choice hay in bale rings since I'm not set up for TMR. I would like to pull this off as economically as possible using the resources on hand, but I'm wondering about whether I should add 3-5# of DDG which adds $0.30-.50 per day for more protein, or should I try creep feeding the calves so the cows can gain better?
80% of the cows are in pretty good condition coming off of the grass, and a few of the calves could possibly be weaned a little early in the near future if necessary. I hope this is enough info, but feel free to ask questions. Thanks for the help.

Edited by proud2Bafarmer 11/19/2010 09:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)