AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle Record Keeping Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/18/2010 21:01 (#1442797 - in reply to #1442668)
Subject: Re: Cattle Record Keeping Software

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Cattle max accepts data directly from the scale head units.

However I have found it helps to turn the scale data into an excel spreadsheet first and look at it visually before loading it into Cattlemax. Seems like I always have a couple duplicates or something obvious in the spreadsheet that I can more easily identify and correct before it is loaded into Cattlemax rather than after data transfer.  

Cattlemax accepts ear tag and eid data as the animal identifier along with the weight.

The basic problem however is that you need to have one or the other (scale head or computer program) be your master copy of data. It looks to me that a computer program such as Cattlemax (the only one I am familiar with) is able to do so much more than any scale head unit that it should be the master set of data.

You may be able to use your excel output from the scale head to load some of your current herd data from the scale head into Cattlemax. However when you look at what is done in the computer program, you will be amazed. It can collect and analyze carcass data, epd's pedigrees, all kinds of data analysis, compute adjusted weaning weights, peer group rankings, etc.

One thing about computerizing data on cattle especially, the sooner you start the better. Good luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/18/2010 21:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)