AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sexed semen?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 11/8/2010 22:35 (#1427882 - in reply to #1427743)
Subject: No, it isn't

Manitoba
and neither is BST or any other technology that enables you to produce milk more effeciently or even the mega large dairies. the reason your milk price sucks is that there is only a handfull of BIG buyers and thousands ond thousands of small producers. And it doesn't matter if the producer is milking 38, 380, or 3800, they are still very small compared to the buyers and selling milk as a single producer means you take whatever they are willing to give. So the buyer decides how much he is willing to spend on milk and watches the small producers fight over the less than cost of production they are offering. And farmers are very good at producing milk very effeciently so they keep finding ways of producing it for a lower price but eventually that hits a wall. Realistically, how much more effecient can a dairy get in the states. Not saying anyone should quit trying to improve but it's nearing the end of what is possible. Any impact changes make anymore amount to miniscule improvements in effeciency.

When the price to the farmer is in the toilet is the price in the store super low as well. Surprise, it's not.

Every once in a while the big buyers will push things too hard and they will find themselves in a bind where there is not enough milk and then prices will improve for a bit. But those low price troughs are getting pretty wide and the peaks pretty narrow.

I'm not in that game as I am north of the border. If the supply mangement we have ended i would be in the same boat.

Edited by Oakwood 11/8/2010 22:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)