AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilots,how many do we have here?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bob Blue
Posted 11/7/2010 07:51 (#1425215 - in reply to #1425143)
Subject: RE: Pilots,how many do we have here?

Soloed in 1961 and bought a Tripacer and did about 140 hours in it. Married in 64 and the airplane went away. Stayed current for the next 43 years and bought a 1952 Tripacer in 2007. Have put about 100 hours on it and will fly today. Wife and I make a breakfast runs several times a month and a lot of evening flying. Airport is about 2 miles from the farm and it is my second home. Am 74 and going to enjoy it while I can. A neighbor friend, 73, a workaholic, dropped dead last week, was just starting to turn everything over to kids so he could semi retire and have some freedom with his life. General aviation is dieing. An active airport 40 miles from here, 4 rentals and many flight instructors 3 years ago, down to one plane and it is for sale. Rental rates, C-172  $100 to 140/hr wet, flight instructor $40/hr, fuel $4.50/gal. 8 hours to solo, $1,000 plus. Cost for private ticket, $6-7000. It has become a very expensive hobby. One instructor at that active flight school said , a person wants to learn to fly and puts 3 hours on the visa and the wife sees the $500 charge at the end of the month, that is the end of his flying.

Bob N2177A, Ohio

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)