AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Mizzou Tiger
Posted 9/12/2010 10:26 (#1356383 - in reply to #1356346)
Subject: HMM

Its interesting, we usually talk about August weather being more important for soya than corn. However due to early season issues and late July-August weather, the corn seems to have been effected quite a bit.

The soybeans number is going to be up in the air. The soya in this area are turning, or have already, a few fields around that are actually cut. So our yield potential is done here, and I just don't know. The last couple of weeks I have been walking fields, and there are pods on the ground. I would say 50-70 were common yields last year, I don't think we are there this year. I would say a lot more 30-50, and 60 is a great crop this year, but that's a backyard comment.

The soya crop was definitely later for most this year, which may have pushed things back a bit, but I just cant give up the idea that August weather effects soya yields.

As for yields farther south, ie the MO comment, I know yields can be "make or break" down there with late August rains and good September weather.

Using 2009 as a reference, I don't see how we can beat it. Weather in July and August were cooler last year, I would think that is better for soya too. Maybe there are other forces at work???

Sidenote on the corn in this area on both sides of the river, yields are generally bad. Field averages have been 130-160 (210-230 is norm). A few isolated fields are getting close to 200, but they are rare, rare, rare. Walked some late Memorial weekend corn, it had stand issues early in spots, but the good areas have been nice to look at all year compared to surrounding early corn. HOWEVER, walked it last week, and it has pretty good tip back. It was just at 1/8 starch line, but I can tell it took a hit on yield potential this year too. I think some will be surprised on the later corn, it may look better from the pick-up, get out in it and its a different deal.

Edited by Mizzou Tiger 9/12/2010 10:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)