AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 8/28/2010 19:16 (#1336370)
Subject: First cows

N FLA
Buyer got our first two cows for our feeding program. I guess he's paid $300 for them combined. They are lean. They stood up for me, but went back to get the camera and they wanted to lay around, so no good pictures. I guess the buyer is going to deworm them, and dehorn these. He said nobody wants to buy cattle with horns. I was thinking maybe we should put in a Ralgro implant. It would be worth it wouldnt it. Then we plan to put them on millet grazing, and my calculations so far is to feed 1 lb of a 25% protein supplement and 35 lbs of corn silage per day, and hope they eat the balance of their needs in millet.

What is fair pay for an old retired man who likes messing with cows to go to the market, bid on the cows, bring back and take care of them for a few days, deworm them, maybe dehorn them. Two at a time, seems like he will spend too much per head on gas. Didnt sound like he can get to many of these at each trip to auction, but I wonder if he just thinks we need $150 cows, and we would be fine with $300 cows. I'm sure he'd probably do it for free. Were thinking about doing 80 cows like this for the winter. Do you think if you could put a bull in with them this winter you'd wind up with a few pregnant in the spring and net a little more profit? Or just try to pack on the pounds and sell them.

(DSCN2474.jpg)

(DSCN2475.jpg)

(DSCN2476.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN2474.jpg (101KB - 186 downloads)
Attachments DSCN2475.jpg (59KB - 170 downloads)
Attachments DSCN2476.jpg (101KB - 140 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)