AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wrapped first hay bales of the season today (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/24/2010 00:14 (#1329601)
Subject: Wrapped first hay bales of the season today (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I picked up my first new bales of the season from my hay supplier today. He has a very difficult time making good dry hay this summer with all the rain in SW WI but these are good dry beef bales.

I know a lot of folks use bags or full wrap. I have compromised on a simple system of just wrapping the outside diameter of these very large 6 ft+ dia x 5 ft wide heavy bales. Most weigh 1600 lb +. I wrapped them today right off of the trailer.

Last year my net-wrapped bales sat on the ground for a couple months before wrapping and I could tell when I took the wrap off. This year I was aiming for wrapping them right out of the field but can't quite time that with the show season in full swing.

Just got a start today but it helps to have a season under my belt. Little things like don't wrap around the corners (holds water), more efficient handling etc. Here is a picture of some wrapped bales from today. I set them on used pallets from our plant until I run out of pallets then on the ground. I save the ones on pallets to feed last.

Jim at Dawn 

edit: reference the grassfed post below: the strip tilled corn in the background is part of my grazing/finishing corn for the coming winter/spring steers.

Edited by Jim 8/24/2010 01:24

(IMG_1703_first wrapped bales of the season_082310.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1703_first wrapped bales of the season_082310.JPG (91KB - 120 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)