AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marketing Programs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

beh
Posted 8/14/2010 16:50 (#1315419 - in reply to #1315387)
Subject: Re: Marketing Programs

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
Again I am a fan of fee based advisory--not a news letter, true advisory.

I always like incrementally (based on seasonals, desires, technicals, production costs, etc.) buying a put and selling a call to minimize cash outlay. This takes margin and sets a ceiling, but if you ride it out they work. Rolling options should only be done when it makes sense to the producer and the advisor. I am a fan of reowning sold options when it makes sense and reselling options at a later date IF it makes sense.

I think if done properly you can achieve BOTH goals, managing risk and increasing profit.

I am not in favor of just buying puts. Better than nothing but not much. 90% of options expire worthless why would you not want to sell some options? Not suggesting to do so wrecklessly but with a laid out plan and rational reasoning in a true hedging manor. It is a good way to offset some of the cost of buying options...

Just for clarity--I would rarly sell options on a ratio where I sold more than I bought (e.g. buy a call and sell two calls) or sell options for months farther out than I had bought options. For certain circumstances this works/makes sense, but doing this JUST to reduce cash outlay is STUPID....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)