AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy goats?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

CoolCanadian
Posted 7/30/2010 15:20 (#1294165 - in reply to #1293385)
Subject: Re: Dairy goats?

I have a small boer/nubian cross herd that I am building into one that will target three markets. In Ontario we are about 50,000 meat goats short from what the ethnic population wants. I am close enough to Toronto that I will use that market as well. I have some registered purebred Nbians, and some boer/nubian crosses. Since all my animals will be CAE and CL free I will also be able to target people that want to start their own herds. We have 2 livestock auctions close enough that I can market the meat animals at. I know when all the religious holidays come up and right now Caribanna is on so I plan the kidding around those dates and have them market ready for then. The registered ones I have are of excellent bloodlines so anyone looking for registered stock can also purchase from me. Nubians are a dual purpose goats so I can have enough milk to satisfy our needs or leave the kids on their moms. We have page wire with a hot wire at about nose level or just a bit lower. The bucks are inside so them testing the fences is not an issue. Draft free housing with 8x8 pens made from gates along the walls is all I use. I love the 5 month gestation and although you can breed 3 times in 2 years I only breed once a year. Not sure how the milk quota works in the U.S. but here you need to have a market in place for the milk.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)