AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wheat protein levels/ Northern vs. Southern areas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

GAW46
Posted 7/17/2010 05:51 (#1276607 - in reply to #1276597)
Subject: Re: wheat protein levels/ Northern vs. Southern areas

Most of the harvest will be done next week, one way or another
We got the equipment, so does everybody else
A normal harvest last about 5 days and we need sun, not combines and trucks
Most can do their crop in 3 days, but some need 5 days
Some do it in a day and 1/2 or one day if it all in one field
We are not big on wheat in this area, except for some small regional areas and they also got the machinery for a fast harvest
Need to, cause we get rain, like you guessed
Dry all July,, until the wheat harvest start
Done some custom, but our big acreage of 60 acreas in two locations has not been touched
We got a 2" rain and they got 4 tenths. Field was 25 acres and we did it in a part of a day, including a 2 hr drive to get there and another 2 hr. drive back home, but he was a friend of my son and had white wheat that would sprout with one more rain and some toxin was starting to get worse
You get a lot of 30 acre fields, except in the one or two area that has 100 acre fields and the eqipment to do it in 5 days
We got 30 acre fields cause the rest of the farm will not grow wheat at a profit, so we split it up, for the wheat
We need 80-100 BPA to make any profit. Land is worth upward and more than 10,000 in some areas [crazy prices]
Ours is worth 5-6,000/acre. Less fertile, lower yields Corn @ 160-170 is a good crop average for our farms
We was burning up, until the wheat harvest started. Happens most yrs. but some yrs we miss the rain
I will take the wheat loss[drying and shrink] for the corn and bean crop, if the straw is dry enough to do a gut job.
We got lots of folks looking for wheat to harvest that do not have any of their own
Not to be dis respectful, just saying how it is in our area.
Southern area got done before it rained 70 miles south of us.
We farm 1800 acres of corn and beans. The wheat is a pain in the butt, but we need to rotate some of the soil, so we do a little custom harvest, or trucking, to make it worth the effort
We grow wheat to make it rain, [just kidding]
Not sure if Mich farmers need any help or not [in the thumb area] or maybe NY state and on down by Cleveland, Ohio
I think they might have got more rain. Would think most of Ohio, Indiana got done, but never know
Detroit to Chicago go south of 1-94 and see what is happening
Anything further and I am out of my territory for wheat guesses.
We have thought of bringing in wet wheat or down graded wheat and putting it in our bins and doing our own drying, but we need to get this yrs. bin built 1st, for corn. Would not want to take the combine that far, but would do the trucking. Would have to hire some of the trucking, in some yrs as the load wts, change in Mich and Ont. Load into bigger trucks, once in Mich., but that may be all specualation, at this time
Maybe you could do the combining for us, but maybe we would not have enough. 50,000 bu. in small steps, as we learn the system, of custom wheat drying and storing, buying and selling and all the rest of the game. We buy corn and beans now for drying and storage, do contracts etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)