AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Life after dairy cows...Holstein steers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sparrell
Posted 7/1/2010 20:33 (#1257385)
Subject: Life after dairy cows...Holstein steers?

Looks like the dairy cows are finally going down the road next week....

The timing and planning of that decision probably could have been better but that is the decision that has been made and it is time to move forward. Anyways, we will have lots and lots of extra bagged haylege, corn silage, and high moisture corn left over. I've been kicking around the idea of getting into raising Holstein steers or Holstein heifers to use up the feed and also provide a living instead of getting a job in town. At this time, my cash crop operation is too small to provide a living by itself. Maybe running my crops through animals will provide enough income to live on?

I know absolutely nothing about steers, but it would seem there is less economic risk in steers than heifers? The way I see it is making money on raising heifers pretty much depends on the milk price. i.e. if when you sell the springing heifer, the milk price is higher than when you bought her as a calf you will probably make money. If the milk price is lower, you will break even or lose money even if you do a pretty good job raising them.

What are your thoughts and experiences on the subject?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)