AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

May/June calving question:
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 5/16/2010 12:41 (#1201844 - in reply to #1200603)
Subject: Re: May/June calving question:

Western Nebraska
We are in the same geographical location as you and we have been calving in May/June for several years now. The problem, as I see it, is that you have to redesign your cow. A cow bred to feed a calf on hay for a couple of months is going to have way to much milking ability to maintain the udder quality you would like to see when they start to freshen on green grass. The structure of udder and teats is much more critical when you freshen on rich grass. We have never tried to push the milk EPDs very hard, but after switching we found that we had to be much more vigilant on the udder issue. The biggest problem I see as it relates to this issue is the tits swell so much when they freshen that the calves have trouble getting them nursed and then you pick up mastitis. That wrecks one or more quarters and then you have a light weaning calf off of a cow that may have been one of your most productive cows.

As to the bull's teat placement, that is a new one to me. Not sure that there is much correlation there. Pay careful attention to the cows you have and the dams of the bulls you use. Don't ever keep a heifer out of a cow that is showing signs of udder breakdown. It is a significant issue to deal with, but I would never go back to calving in February and March because my "good" cows are being culled. The last week confirmed for me that I will never go back to winter calving. A foot of snow and cows and calves all mixed up, calves laying in mud and slop and nearly dieing of exposure. Not exactly my idea of a good time, or a good way to make a living.

We just have a cow designed for a different production environment. Now we have to redesign her to fit the new production environment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)