AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

May/June calving question:
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 5/15/2010 12:28 (#1200603 - in reply to #1200076)
Subject: RE: May/June calving question:

North Mo.
I have more than likely been calving with nature longer than any one on here about 10 years now so I will give you a answer. Yes a heavy milking cow will give problems in May June calving. A heavy milking cow will give problems calving anytime if not given the nutrition to milk. She will milk regardless till she dies of low nutrition. I would not give 50$ for a bull with a milk EPD of over 20 he will just sire hard doing cows.
The number 1 reason to calve in May and June is reduced feed cost, one will not need to feed the heavy milkers and in fact can select against the heavy milkers thus lowering feed cost even more.
No. 2 labor cost are down meaning reduced calving problems, scours about anything most complain about on here in Feb March and April.
Disadvantage and they have been discussed on here before is if you sell calves in the fall they will be smaller than a calf 2 months older. That said so what it is profit that counts unless bringing the calf into the bathtub is free.
To get a bigger calf if wanted grow it some after weaning.
Its funny my wife and I were discussing this very subject this morning when she ask how many new born's and I said 4. Her reply is "gee it sure is different than it used to be" Guys it really is a no brainer unless you just like mud, cold, sickness and extra work. Ben.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)