AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mac or Vista
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

BobTN
Posted 2/21/2007 23:13 (#108892 - in reply to #108842)
Subject: Re: Mac or Vista

Germantown, TN
A few comments. The iMacs (monitor, system, all built into one) really are pretty good. A friend of mine bought one this past fall and just loves it. She was a Windows-only user (95 through XP), other than the occasional stint in front of my Mac laptop or Linux box to check her webmail. It really does "just work."

I can't say too much about file sharing between Macs and Windows boxes. I know people who have gotten it to work without problems, but I've never had a need to try it myself. I do know that common file types are pretty portable. QuickTime will open the movie files, Flip4Mac (it's free) will open WMV files, iTunes uses MP3 and MP4, JPEGs are pretty easy, etc.

The mouse seems like a problem, but it's really not. If you prefer a two-button mouse with scroll wheel, then just plug it in. The iMacs come with a scroll wheel mouse and I plug a typical USB mouse into my laptops without a problem.

It can be_very_ difficult to think about switching, unless you get a chance to sit in front of one of these machines. Once you do, you can almost see the light come on. "Oh, thats it?!?!" Don't get me wrong, though. I love my Macs, but it may not be for everyone. If you're truly tied to "The Windows Way" of doing things (I know a few of these folks), then a Mac may not be a good fit. If you just want to "get stuff done," then it may very well be the right thing for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)