AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do You Get Cold?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

showboat
Posted 1/24/2010 20:54 (#1039528)
Subject: Do You Get Cold?

It's a good thing I don't live further north than southern Kansas. Don't know what I'd do in Minnesota or Wisconsin where my relatives live.

From about mid-September until May, I'm wearing multiple layers of clothes. My kid will be out working in a tee shirt, and I'll have three layers UNDER my coat. I often wear two sweatshirts INDOORS.

It's always been that way....a sunny day isn't nearly as bad, but any wind just cuts through me unless I'm wearing lots of layers. Fingers easily go numb and ache from cold. Feet used to be that way as well, but I'm learning. After 35 years of outdoor cattle feeding, when there's snow, or temps in the teens, I now wear waterproof hunting boots--the kind with the little "booties" inside. They're about a size too big, so I can wear one or more pairs of thick skiing socks. Feet do pretty well, now, but I don't even walk across the wife's new ceramic floor tile without shoes....otherwise I can feel the warmth leaving my feet just in a few steps.

Fingers are really the worst problem. I can't do much of anything while wearing thick insulated gloves, but hate to take them off. If I touch anything steel, I can feel the energy leaving my skin, and the fingers won't warm up again--even back within the heavy gloves--until I find a heat source.

My Dad was just the opposite. Rarely even wore a heavy coat until he was in his 80's. He was even LESS likely to wear any gloves at all, and if he did it was just a pair of thin cotton jersey gloves. I used to be so envious.

Any suggestions for keeping hands and fingers warm? showboat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)