AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? about download speeds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 1/4/2007 14:15 (#82800 - in reply to #82792)
Subject: Re: ? about download speeds

We have paid 59.95 (US) all along for either Starband or Direcway. We were on Starband first, and it worked good, but as they filled up it kept getting slower and slower, then spam became a huge problem. We switched to Direcway and basically the same story, it worked good at first, but it's amazing how when they came out with the new higher speed/higher cost option that basic on kept slowing down. Would not put it past them to be trying to push you to the higher rate and higher $$. More often than not when I try to check my speed the last few months it's been in the upper 200's to low 300's, if you use it a lot it will actually slow down so much that you might as well leave it alone for 30 minutes and then come back.

All along the only other option we had was dial up or lately Wild Blue, but after having two other satellite systems I didn't figure Wild Blue would be any different.

Our local phone company (Sprint/Embarq) kept telling me that DSL was not available and might be in the future. We have a local guy who's put a repeater antenna on our grain leg for a fm broadband, but they want $50 per month for it. I was going to switch to it, but I've found out he's having trouble keeping the system up and running. Last week I managed to actually get hold of a real person at the local phone service center and asked him when DSL might be available and he told me that they could get it here by simply rerouting the way my phone service comes to me. Seems there is a subdivision not too far away that has DSL available and they can route my line into it instead of where it goes now.

The price for the low rate was $24.95 for as long as you are hooked up, guaranteed no price increases. Can't remember what the middle one was, the high end one was $44.95.

I intend to switch asap once they tell me they have the phone line routed to the subdivision.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)