AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric motor connections, what is your favorite?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SoupSammich
Posted 4/26/2024 16:27 (#10718995)
Subject: Electric motor connections, what is your favorite?

SC IA
I have a rented bin site with a hodgepodge of electrical connections for unloaders and sweeps. I have to move the old boy's motors around from bin to bin, the biggest being a 5hp. Right now he has a clothes dryer type type 220 plug that you have to run everything off of, with extension cords all over the yard, and a variety of adapters to use a standard extension cord with. And of course the odd sweep auger wired to 110 for reasons known only to the late former owner.

Bottom line I am sick of the mix and match and want his stuff to be the same as my bin site which is mostly standard 110 and has never worked well. I'm changing both at the same time to make everything match.

The question is what is your favorite connection type for these sorts of things and why? The smaller and lighter ones don't appear to handle more than 20 amps and I think the 5 HP probably exceeds that. I'm going to switch my bin site to all 220 while I'm at it.

Also, hardwiring the motors is not on the table because I have way more bins than motors and buying motors and hard wiring them all is not practical. The best I am willing to do for rented bins is spade in a wire to each bin and put an outlet box there, the only question is what kind. Thanks everybody.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)