AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help needed with a downer beef cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 4/21/2024 06:03 (#10714274 - in reply to #10713607)
Subject: RE: Help needed with a downer beef cow

Southeast Colorado
I've had a hip lift clamp for years..........but I saw one of these roll around cow lifts for sale for $4500. I seem to periodically have cows go down since I keep them probably too old. Anyway..........I thought about buying one, but decided to build one instead. It's got dolly caster wheels on the front..........and just straight 12" tires on the rear. It has a couple of worm drive winches overhead.........so I use the back one to pick up her up with a hip lift clamp........and then throw a chain under her right behind her front legs if she hasn't gotten up by herself. It works pretty good because you can let the winches down and she'll walk on her own with just light support.

In theory..........it's a great idea. I've used it twice since I built it 2 years ago. And both times the cow has eventually died anyway. In both cases they were pretty old cows though.

At least now I'm prepared if it's a better chance scenario. And with scrap iron and such around the farm, I think I put less than $500 into building it. Most of that was the winches. The worm drives work best.

EDIT: Look up www.swihart-sales.com if you want to see what the factory lift looks like. Pretty good rural fellow out of Russell KS sells them.

Edited by tmrand 4/21/2024 06:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)