AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AngusX cows falling apart
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 4/20/2024 06:09 (#10713116 - in reply to #10713012)
Subject: RE: AngusX cows falling apart

Fontanelle, IA
+1 Blkcow

Genetics influence phenotype.

Long toes - SAV Final Answer sire of Coleman Regis seems to have a big feet issue to me but I’m just a clanging gong against terrible feet. I’m not a fan at all of Final Answer anymore as those cows feet issues mean they can’t walk as well which means they can’t get water/feed as well. Yeah, final answer is calving ease…..

If a pedigree is very inefficient feed wise or lacks the internal capacity of her /his factory to convert biomass calories to metabolic calories, then it is no wonder that during very cold snaps with howling winds that cows would lose tails and feet to fescue foot vasoconstriction or frostbite similar to calves born in January in a blizzard and get named “shrek” the rest of their lives.

OP has id’d his problem. Whether this is a “named” genetic defect by the Angus Association or not is immaterial.

Now, bigger question is how OP can correct a bull’s “genetic deficiency”.
Definitely don’t keep any heifers out of those cows or if the “temptation” is too great…. All those cows need to be intentionally bred to low milk epd, high feed efficiency bulls with a local offspring track record of “doing it”.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)