AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advice needed for pumpkin cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jdtank122
Posted 4/9/2024 22:23 (#10701092)
Subject: Advice needed for pumpkin cover crop

Georgia
4th year growing pumpkins. Planning on 10 acres this year. In previous years I have been planting no till into rolled cereal rye and had great success. Less weeds and cleaner pumpkins. Due to several unfortunate issues I was not able to plant my rye in the fall. My question is are there any cover crops you guys would recommend for planting this spring to somewhat replace the rye? I know cereal rye is the way to go but I think it would be an absolute weed disaster if I didn’t atleast try to get some sort of cover. I know spring planted cover isn’t a common practice but Keep in mind I am in central GA. I plant all my Full season pumpkins july 1st and shorter day pumpkins july 15th-20th. Everything matures faster in our extreme heat. That being said we are getting high 70/low 80 degree days here now regularly. I basically have 40-50 days to grow a cover if I plant this weekend. A few ideas i had was browntop millet or Proso millet. We get average 45 inches/rainfall year so I’m not super concerned about the cover crop taking up soil moisture before planting the pumpkins. I’m planning to spray with glyphosate a week before I plant the pumpkins.

Edited by Jdtank122 4/9/2024 22:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)