AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips to control fusarium?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JohnW
Posted 3/27/2024 19:07 (#10683143 - in reply to #10683060)
Subject: RE: Tips to control fusarium?

NW Washington
tkoppel - 3/27/2024 16:06

Phil N - 3/27/2024 12:45

tkoppel, FYI I was at a wheat meeting a few years ago and a university plant pathologist presented about fusarium in wheat. He said he had spore collectors which vacuumed up spores, so they could determine airborne spore populations within a given environment (over time). He said there was no difference between spores over a wheat field which was planted after corn, compared to one after beans. In fact, they rode a boat out into a lake and found the amount of airborne spores were equal to those in the fields. So he concluded that fusarium spores were abundant in the air, and with the right climatic conditions (temperature, rainfall, humidity, wind etc), they could infect susceptible varieties regardless of the previous crop.

Well, huh. You suppose that means it's perfectly fine planting after corn, not to mention wheat back to back, regarding head scab, so long as you don't get "the right" climatic conditions? Maybe so, but I'm skeptical.

Well, Tom, you can mark me down as skeptical too. I think the good professor is talking through his hat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)