AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any 7.3 powerstoke experts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ILSODGRWR
Posted 3/27/2024 11:06 (#10682580 - in reply to #10682264)
Subject: RE: Any 7.3 powerstoke experts?

Kendall County, IL
SamT - 3/27/2024 08:14

I was talking to a friend last night kinda reminiscing about the past. He quit farming 20 years ago. The subject of his last farm truck came up. Turns out he still has it. It’s a 97 4 door long bed 7.3 with automatic. 165k miles. It’s been under a barn its whole life. Last time I saw it it looked really nice still, just one dent from a blowout on the back.

Anyways it’s largely been parked for 20 years. They have driven it now and then when another car goes down. About 5 years ago he says his wife ran it out of diesel and they couldn’t get it to run right afterwards. Of course now the battery’s are smoked and I’d assume it needs tires.
I don’t need it, but I have 2 boys coming up and I think it would make one of them a sweet truck. I have a 05 dodge that’s low miles barn kept that they will probably fight over. He offered it for 5k and I think it’s as nice of a 25 year old truck as money can buy.

Any ideas what I might get into to get it back running right? I’m supposed to go look at it this weekend.

DO NOT USE ETHER/STARTING FLUID! Easy way to kill what might still be a good engine.

If there is already fuel in the tanks, the fuel filter is on the top center of the engine. Pull that out and see if there is fuel in there, if not add some and replace filter. With good batteries, try cranking. Near the front of the fuel filter there is a schrader valve to check fuel pressure while cranking. You can use an old tire pressure gauge with a 45 degree end on it. It should show more than zero psi, but I can't remember what cranking pressure should be. Also while cranking, check the tach to see if RPM's register. If not, could have a bad Cam Position Sensor which is cheap and easy to change. The glowplug system might be bad but it should still make smoke if its getting fuel.

Use the chart below to continue trouble shooting.

Edited by ILSODGRWR 3/27/2024 11:06

(psd_crank_no_start_flowchart (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments psd_crank_no_start_flowchart (full).jpg (75KB - 32 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)