AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New upright poured concrete silo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Glendon_B
Posted 3/30/2024 08:08 (#10686288 - in reply to #10678343)
Subject: RE: New upright poured concrete silo

Bethel, PA
phishstik - 3/24/2024 18:54

I've had to do so many sketchy repairs on our old 75' - 24' concrete silo that I think they are nuts for going 132. His children will be paying the same amount of money to demolish it that he did to put it up.

I see why you feel that way, but silos are still used a lot here in southeastern PA. We still have lots of silo unloader and blower dealers. The PA dairy industry is starting to look more like what you see in Ontario and Quebec than what you see in the rest of USA. Most of us are too tight on land space to expand and land is very expensive so automation is the best way to become more efficient.

I was at a farm open house on Thursday where they had two Lely Vectors feeding 360 cows. They loaded the mixer from stationary forage wagon boxes. They stored the feed in bunker silos and bags. The silage in the box was a little warm and didn't smell the greatest. I did see some rotten feed on the top of the bunker silo; so I don't know if the issue was the bunker silo, or the feed sitting in the forage box, but I wasn't impressed. I am happy with our silos.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)