AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody ever dealt with Air Methods?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

forget
Posted 3/18/2024 13:38 (#10670169)
Subject: Anybody ever dealt with Air Methods?

eastern sd
In February our daughter's doctor detected an arrhythmia in her heart during a regular checkup. Its a long story about what happened next but she is fine and we believe we have the medical issue solved. I am now moving on to the billing/insurance issue that is going to follow. Twice she was flown from Mithcell, SD to Omaha, Ne to the Children's of Nebraska hospital. The first flight Children's of NE sent their own plane to Mitchell to pick her up, the second time they couldn't so the Avera plane came from Sioux Falls to pick her up and took her to Omaha. I have yet to get an EOB or bill for the air transport either time (it is still pretty early to expect one) . I did however get a 15 page document from an entity called Air Methods claiming that they were the ones who transported her, and that I should fill out and sign their document requesting my insurance information and allowing them to act on my behalf in dealing with my insurance company. 14 pages of this document are spent trying to demonstrate that Air Methods is the best air transportation in the nation and that they do this all the time etc. etc. they then say they need our insurance info and our permission for them to act as our agents (as I interpret it).

I'm not sure if they legitimately handle the billing for these transportation services or not, but even if they do my first impression is that I'm not going to sign over my rights for myself, or someone of my choosing, to act on my behalf with the insurance company, especially since we don't even have a bill or anything yet. I think they might legitimately need our insurance info but they are coupling the insurance info request with a signature to allow them to act on our behalf. I still have to talk to the hospital about this as well as my attorney but I may just send them a copy of my insurance card and a note that says they can bill the insurance company but I'm not allowing them to sue on my behalf at this time. Some searching revealed a class action lawsuit against them that depicts the scenario I see playing out in good detail.

https://www.classaction.org/media/murphy-v-air-methods-corporation-e...

I am curious if anybody has had emergency air transport by Children's of Omaha or Avera care flight (or anywhere else for that matter) and if they got a letter like this. Rocky Mountain Holdings is the actual name of the company describing themselves as "Air Methods"

Edited by forget 3/18/2024 13:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)