AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Handling seed tote bags
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/15/2024 05:08 (#10665559 - in reply to #10665537)
Subject: Different problem with seed totes and trailer

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
We use all hard side totes for our operation but have a different problem. We have a seed trailer that holds two hard side totes, so the idea would be to remove each empty with a fork lift and replace it with a full one as needed.

Since we don't have a real fork lift with side shift, it is difficult to get a full tote lined up perpendicular and straight with the trailer by using our telehandler with forks. The full totes need to be lined up quite closely to fit onto the angle iron frame on the trailer. The articulated telehandler doesn't work as nicely as a real fork lift would.

What we found works better for us is to just leave the first two totes on the trailer the majority of the season. We then just raise the next full tote above and open the gate which allows the seed to fall to the one on the trailer by gravity. Since the gate on the full tote needs to be opened while it is up in the air, a remote opener might be handy. For now we just use a step ladder. My helpers are young enough that they can still climb the ladder easily.

Edited by tedbear 3/15/2024 05:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)