AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CattleMaxx
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 3/5/2024 07:46 (#10652110 - in reply to #10651467)
Subject: RE: CattleMaxx

Eastern NE KS
I built my own using Sailforms in 2013. Sailforms is an android relational database development tool. I was promised multiuser/multidevice access and the ability to create a stand-alone app. He also promised a hand off to his 'team' if he stepped away from the Sailforms project. These promises fell apart when the creator of Sailforms had family health issues and there was no 'team'. He charged $20 for the tool and offer perpetual updates, until he stopped. He sold about 1300 copies world wide.

On the positive side I have the equivalent of 10 years (ang growing) of red books on my phone. That was my initial goal and was easily fulfilled. All data is stored on my phone so internet connection is only used for data backup.
Scope of records include:
Animal inventory
Pasture Placement
Animal health and treatments (group and individual)
Mating
Preg check
Calving
Weaning
Yearling
Culling and disposal
Outputs include
AAA data entry.
Herd performance based upon BIF standards
Sire performance - breeding and weaning
Individual cow history and performance.

I called it CowCalfJournal. It took about 80 hours to build with fairly constant 4-5 hour quarterly work to address dev tool updates and new features.

I have checked my system against CattleMaxx. Implementation may differ but cattle data and analysis breadth is very similar.

$100/year is a bargain for CattleMaxx IF it includes deep performance analysis allowing you to see herd progress year over year. You manage what you measure. A tool that collects raw data moves you follow subjective feeling about performance to objective results.

The contrary argument is measuring bs with a teaspoon is an expensive way to spend ones time. The key to preventing this waste of time is comparing any tool to what you do and realize before and after any change in toolset.

Edited by Doug61 3/5/2024 11:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)