AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grinder Mixer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 3/6/2024 22:35 (#10654924 - in reply to #10651362)
Subject: RE: Grinder Mixer

Which extension does the 355 have?   

There are 2 lengths, the short ext is less than half of the length of the main auger and the long extension is basically the same length as the main auger.

The neighbors 355, that I used to grind feed with occasionally, had the short extension.    It was absolutely maxed out to dump feed into a 2 ring 6' AP feed bin.     Hog Slat lists that size bin as being 14' 2" tall.     There is no chance it would have unloaded into a 15' tall bin.      Also, realistically the 355 will only hold 4500 lbs of hog feed.  5000 lbs of hog feed will pop the lid open every time.

We've had a few Arts-Way grinder/mixers (500A, 5165 and 6530) for the past 25 years and all of them have unloaded into bins that are 18'+.      

IMO, the New Holland grinder/mixer is "ok" but I'd personally rather have an Arts-Way, esp if its a 5165 or newer.    The 5165 has a lot of improvements over the older AW machines, most notable are the bigger tank (actually holds 4 ton of ground hog feed), double chain mixer drive and the hyd cylinder for the auger lift.    The hyd lift and swing on the Arts-Way machines is really nice.

If you watch the online auctions some of the 5165's are getting pretty affordable.    Might even be cheaper than a NH 355, some guys go nutty over those things.

Not sure what tractor you'd be grinding with but 1000 pto opens up a lot more options for bigger tractors.   The 4 ton Arts-Ways I mentioned are all capable of using everything a 150 hp tractor can give it.   

Helmuth Repair in Kalona, IA is the go to Arts-Way dealer.    They're 350 miles from here but that's who I call every time I need something.  They have the parts and knowledgeable people at the parts counter.     

Edited by Kooiker 3/6/2024 22:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)